We all know how good it feels to laugh, but did you know all the healing properties of laughter? Dr. Frank Lipman, the founder of the Eleven Eleven Wellness Center has written about “comic relief” in a recent article in the Huffington Post (“Huffpost Healthy Living Canada”) has stated that people who know how to laugh well heal faster and live longer. Indeed laughter is another spiritual healing method as well as energy healing or herbal remedies. Here a few of his laughter remedies.
- Laughter helps boost your immune system by increasing T cell activity, those “killer cells” that help our bodies fight viruses and tumors.
- Laughter helps lower blood pressure and cortisol levels, decreases pain and can also help stabilize blood sugar.
- Laugher stimulates chemical changes in the brain that help buffer our bodies against the cumulative effects of stress.
- Laughter burns a few extra calories: According to a university study, just 10 -15 minutes worth of chuckles throughout the day can burn up to 40 calories.
- Laughter stimulates the release of endorphins, the mood-elevating brain chemicals behind the “runner’s high.”
- Laughter helps reduce inflammation throughout the body — good news for your heart, brain and circulatory health.
- Laughter “massages” internal organs — which is why it’s sometimes referred to as “internal jogging” — with effects similar to exercise.
- Laughter releases tension in the muscles of the face, neck, shoulders and abdomen — all common areas where we tend to hold lots of tension.
To view the original source of this passage click here.
With all these benefits, who wouldn’t want to spend at least part of every day laughing? I understand it takes more muscles to frown than it does to laugh. The post ends with an interview of Robert Kowalski, the author of The Blood Pressure Cure. He says that laughter brings blood pressure down and frowning and anger actually raises your heart rate. It’s certain that laughter is another spiritual healing method.